- About Us
Integrated Community Program
Knowledge Based Economic Development (KBED) is a unique partnership of civic, academic and private sector entities working together to support new and growing companies in Manhattan, Kansas. This integrated community economic development program seeks to attract companies by leveraging the talent, innovation and training capabilities and infrastructure available at Kansas State University.
KBED’s efforts help increase the number of high-paying jobs, generate new discoveries through university industry collaborations, and boost the infrastructure of the region.
This initiative is supported by a diverse group of successful Manhattan partner organizations including:
- City of Manhattan
- Kansas State University Foundation
- Kansas State University Institute for Commercialization
- Kansas State University Research Foundation
- Kansas State University
- Manhattan Area Chamber of Commerce
- North Central Regional Planning Commission
We are your one stop shop for locating in the Manhattan-area. Learn more about how we can facilitate a partnership with the Manhattan region and Kansas State University including:
- Hosting your company to visit the Manhattan region
- Helping you select the perfect site for your company
- Introducing you to potential faculty collaborators
- Identifying potential investment capital or economic development incentives to help with your transition and growth
- Connecting you to talent pipelines to meet your human capital needs
- Designing professional development programs to ensure your employees have the skills they need to be successful
Founded in 2008, KBED now plays an instrumental role in defining the economic development strategy for the Manhattan region. Those strategies include the facilitation of robust private sector/university collaborations, attraction and creation of knowledge based businesses, as well as the development of infrastructure necessary to accommodate a knowledge based economy.
Unlike other economic development initiatives, KBED is organized as an LLC and the organization focuses exclusively on attracting companies that match Kansas State University and the region’s aggregate strengths. This formalized partnership allows the town-gown relationship to thrive and creates an added dimension of ownership and responsibility that enables the strategic vision to be executed successfully.